Located just on the outskirts of town at the edge of a residential area is The Grand Village of the Natchez Indians. The Natchez Indians inhabited what is now southwest Mississippi ca. 700-1730 AD, with the culture at its zenith in the mid-1500s. Between 1682 and 1729 the Grand Village was their main ceremonial center, according to historical and archaeological evidence. French explorers, priests and journalists descriptions of the ceremonial mounds and archaeological investigations produced additional evidence that the site was the place that the French called "the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians." During the period that the Natchez occupied the Grand Village, the French explored the region and began to make settlements. Relations between the French and the Natchez were cordial at first, but deteriorated as various disagreements and episodes of violence arose in 1716 and again in 1723. In 1729, a pro-English element within the tribe led the Natchez to attack the French colonial plantations and military garrison at Fort Rosalie. The French retaliated in such force that the Natchez were forced to abandon their homeland. Put the Grand Village on your tour itinerary and pack a picnic lunch to enjoy on the hallowed grounds of this historic treasure.